Richard A. Sarner
Richard A. Sarner, Esq. practice in the areas of Estate Planning, Elder Law, Charitable Gift Planning, Asset Protection, Family Wealth Transfer, Retirement Planning and Real Estate law. With offices in New York and Stamford, Connecticut, Rick speaks frequently on estate planning topics to financial planners and insurance advisors.
He received his B.A. from Dartmouth College and his Juris Doctor from Hofstra University School of Law. He practiced with several large New York law firms prior to entering private practice in 1991.
Rick has received the highest professional rating (AV) from Martindale-Hubbell, and is listed in the Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™, Connecticut and New England Super Lawyer 2013, Top Estate Planning Lawyers 2011-2013: Greenwich Magazine, Stamford Magazine, New Canaan Darien & Rowayton Magazine, Westport Fairfield Weston Wilton Magazine. Westchester Magazine 2010-2013 FIVE STAR Wealth Manager Award. Avenue Magazine: AVENUE’S 2011-2013 Legal Elite – Top Estate Attorneys, Top Tax Attorneys. Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in American Law; His AVVO rating is 9.9 Superb; He served as co-chair of the Fairfield County Bar Association Probate and Estates Committee 2008-12;
Rick is a contributing author to the books “Giving: Philanthropy for Everyone” (Quantum Press 2002), and “Love, Money, Control: Reinventing Estate Planning – Practical Answers from America’s Foremost Estate Planning Advisors” (Quantum Press 2004) and edited by nationally-recognized authors Robert A. Esperti and Renno L. Peterson.
He is active in the American Bar Association (Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section), the Connecticut Bar Association (Section of Estates and Probate) and the New York State Bar Association (Trusts and Estates Law Section). He is a member of WealthCounsel LLC and the Wealth Strategies Collaborative, a nationwide alliance of attorneys and financial planners, who collectively combine his or her expertise, designing asset protection and wealth preservation plans.
Rick has received the highest professional rating (AV) from Martindale-Hubbell, and is listed in the Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, Who’s Who in American Law and Who’s Who in America. He has served on numerous nonprofit boards and professional advisory committees. He resides in Stamford with his wife and two children.
- Giving: Philanthropy for Everyone (Contributing Author), Quantum Press, 2002
- Love, Money, Control: Reinventing Estate Planning, Quantum Press, 2003
Honors and Awards:
- Who’s Who in Finance and Industry – Marquis
- Who’s Who in the World – Marquis
- Who’s Who in American Law – Marquis, 1990
- Who’s Who in America – Marquis, 1998
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, 2004
- AV Preeminent 5.0 out of five Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell, 2004
- AVENUE’S 2011 Legal Elite – Top Tax Attorneys, Avenue Magazine, 2010
- AVENUE’S 2011 Legal Elite – Top Estate Attorneys, Avenue Magazine, 2010
- FIVE STAR Wealth Manager Award, Westchester Magazine, 2010
- Avvo Rating: Superb
- Top Estate Planning Lawyers 2011, Greenwich Magazine, Stamford Magazine, New Canaan Darien & Rowayton Magazine, Westport
Fairfield Weston Wilton Magazine
- Highest professional rating (AV) from Martindale-Hubbell, listed in the Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent
- New England Super Lawyer 2013
- Connecticut Super Lawyer 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association, 1982- Present
- Connecticut Bar Association, Estates and Probate Section, 1997- Present
- New York State Bar Association, Trusts and Estates Law Section, 1982- Present
- The Association of the Bar of the CIty of New York
- Member Fairfield County Bar Association, 1991- Present
- Co-chair, Probate and Estates Committee
- National Network of Estate Planning Attorneys, 1997-2002
- Charter Member Dartmouth Lawyers Association, 1982- Present
- Member Wealth Counsel, 2002- Present
Pro Bono Activities:
- Former Board Member, Stamford Museum and Nature Center
- Former Board Member, King Low-Heywood Thomas School
- Former Class Agent, Dartmouth College Class of 1977
- Former Secretary/Counsel: JCEF (Executive Committee)