Experienced Asset Protection Planning Law Firm
Serving Stamford, Connecticut and New York
When you have worked hard to build your wealth across a lifetime, you do not want to see it drained away by a lawsuit, taxes, or medical expenses. At the Stamford Richard A. Sarner, Esq., we tailor asset protection plans to each of our high net worth clients. We understand that one size does not fit all. A doctor, for instance may wish to insulate his or her personal assets from future malpractice liability, while business clients and high net worth individuals may wish to structure their plans so as to remove them from the reach of future creditors or by investing in assets that are exempt from creditors.
We employ a number of different tools in designing your personalized asset protection trust and plan:
- QPRTs (Qualified Personal Residence Trusts)—A type of trust into which the client transfers his or her personal residence while retaining the right to live in the residence for a term of years. At the end of the term, the property passes to the client’s beneficiaries. Removes the future value of the house from the client’s estate. Often used as an asset protection vehicle by doctors and those with taxable estates.
- Debt Shields—By transferring all of your equity from your real estate to an exempt asset or to an asset that offers substantial protection and some upside potential, your net worth is increased while your home is protected, and you still enjoy the upside of the home.
- Domestic Asset Protection Trusts, International Asset Protection Trusts, Captive Insurance Companies, Family Limited Partnerships and LLCs, Funding of Exempt Assets, Delaware Trusts, Nevada LLCs
- Foreign or Offshore Trusts—If you are a U.S. resident, you must disclose your worldwide income however and wherever situated. However, international planning, when coupled with domestic exempt assets can be extremely effective as an asset protection vehicle. (e.g., Cook Islands),
- Strategic Use of Cash Value Life Insurance—While no one likes paying life insurance premiums, the proper strategic use of insurance, as the investment vehicle in the debt shield structure can provide guaranteed returns, enjoy the upside, while protecting the downside, and provide for tax-free growth, all within a policy tied to the S&P 500 index.
More than 25 Years of Experience in Estate Planning
Attorney Richard A. Sarner has more than 25 years of experience in estate planning. The firm has attained the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell® AV rating* and is listed in the Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™ In addition, Mr. Sarner has co-authored the books, “Giving: Philanthropy for Everyone,” (Quantum Press, 2002) and “Love, Money, Control: Reinventing Estate Planning—Practical Answers from America’s Foremost Estate Planning Advisors” (Quantum Press, 2004).
Richard A. Sarner, Esq., offers estate planning services personally suited to each client. Because we are part of WealthCounsel, Esq, and the Wealth Strategies Collaborative®, we can offer the resources of a much larger firm, while maintaining the flexibility and intimacy of a small one. Our practice is devoted mainly to estate planning, including such practice areas as wealth transfer, insurance planning, charitable giving, and more.
Contact an Experienced Asset Protection Planning Lawyer
If you are concerned about your hard-earned wealth being vulnerable to creditors and lawsuits, contact the experienced asset protection planning attorneys at the Richard A. Sarner, Esq.