Go to main navigation
263 Tresser Blvd, 14th Floor, Stamford, Connecticut 06901
Call for a Consultation 833-332-8670 833-332-8670

sub-banner-firm-trustd non-citizen

Stamford Non-Citizen Spousal Trust Lawyer

Experienced Trust and Estate Planning Law Firm
Serving Connecticut and New York

Under current law, a “marital deduction” within the tax code allows an unlimited tax-free transfers of property between spouses. However, the unlimited marital deduction does not apply to non-citizen spouses, even if they are permanent residents. This exception is intended to ensure non-citizen spouses pay estate tax on any property they inherit before leaving the country upon the death of his or her husband or wife.

To take advantage of the marital deduction and avoid estate tax, a qualified domestic trust (QDOT) can be created for a non-citizen spouse. At the Richard A. Sarner, Esq., we work with tax experts and financial planners to create trusts that allow couples to plan for their financial security and that of their children. While a QDOT may be the first step, other trusts or estate planning tools also can be used to ensure that health care needs or the care of children are provided for as well.

If you and your non-citizen spouse are interested in the estate planning options available to you, contact the Richard A. Sarner, Esq. today and schedule an appointment with an attorney at our offices in Stamford, Connecticut, or New York City.

What a Qualified Domestic Trust Involves

In order to establish a QDOT, the following requirements must be observed:

  • At least one of the trustees must be a U.S. citizen
  • The trust must be established at least 9 months prior to the death of the citizen spouse. Additionally, the trust must be claimed on the decedent’s estate tax return
  • All income set aside in the trust must be reserved for the surviving non-citizen spouse

Using Trusts for Other Purposes

In addition to a QDOT for your non-citizen spouse, you may choose to create other trusts to ensure the financial security of your children. While a QDOT provides tax-deferred income over the lifetime of your non-citizen spouse, upon his or her death any remaining assets in a QDOT are subject to taxation. Creating a revocable trust that splits into a living trust for a surviving spouse and a family trust for children may be an effective means for ensuring your children are provided for as well.

Compliance – Avoiding Difficulties and Confusion

Sometimes, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may place special requirements on a QDOT to ensure taxes will be paid on it after the death of the surviving spouse. To comply with IRS requirements, you may need to appoint a U.S. bank as your trustee or provide a bond for security against the value of the trust.

We have the experience and knowledge to help you create a QDOT or other trust that provides for the financial security of your family after you’re gone. To schedule an appointment and learn more about how we can help you, contact a lawyer at the Richard A. Sarner, Esq. today.

Richard A. Sarner, Esq. • www.SarnerLaw.com