Search Site
How Do I Protect My House?

Protecting Your Home in Retirement – Stamford Lawyer

When people begin making plans for the future, especially if the planning revolves around retirement and long-term care, one of the primary concerns is how to protect your home.

I am Richard A. Sarner of Zeldes, Needle & Cooper, P.C., and I begin by asking all of the right questions and listening carefully to your needs and concerns. I provide thorough estate planning services that best suit your unique needs and protect your home and other assets.

To discuss options for protecting your home in retirement or when you need long-term health care, contact me to schedule a free initial consultation.

Stamford Estate Planning Lawyer

When seeking to protect your home from creditors, I will take into account complex rules and procedures involving:

  • Medicaid spend-down rules
  • Estate taxation
  • Other expenses or liabilities

I will implement the best strategy to suit your objectives using a wide array of legal tools, including:

  • Revocable living trusts and irrevocable trusts, including supplemental needs trusts (special needs trusts), marital trusts, credit shelter trusts and income-only trusts
  • “Pooled trusts” to use in protecting your home in retirement and income while still qualifying for Medicaid benefits
  • Putting your house and other assets into the name of the healthy spouse or adding children to the deed
  • Transferring interest in your house to your children, but retaining a life estate so that you own the house until your death, when it passes onto your children
  • Establishing home equity lines of credit (HELOCs) to reduce or eliminate equity

I will explain the benefits and disadvantages of all the options for protecting your home in retirement, taking into account the relevant estate planning and tax regulations. After I have created a plan that meets your needs, I will implement it efficiently and effectively so that you can have peace of mind in the protection of your home.

Greenwich Elder Law Firm

Are you concerned with protecting your home in retirement or in the event that you need long-term medical care? Contact me, Stamford estate planning attorney Richard A. Sarner, to schedule a consultation.

Richard A. Sarner •

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Office Locations
  • Stamford Office
    One Canterbury Green
    201 Broad Street, Suite 620
    Stamford, Connecticut 06901
    Phone: 203-332-5761
    Fax: 203-547-6800
  • New York Office
    One Grand Central Place
    60 East 42nd Street, Suite 4600
    New York, New York 10022
    Phone: 833-332-8670
    Fax: 203-547-6800
  • Bridgeport Office
    1000 Lafayette Boulevard
    7th Floor
    Bridgeport, Connecticut 06604
    Phone: 203-333-9441
    Fax: 203-333-1489
Martindale-Hubbell® - AV Preeminent